Home arrow Vacation Journals arrow Puerto Penasco Day 1
Sunday, 25 February 2018
Puerto Penasco Day 1 Print E-mail
Written by Kevin   
Sunday, 12 June 2005

Well, our trip to Mexico started earlier than expected due to Blake. Blake decided to wake up at about 1:45 am, upset about something... maybe teething, maybe a nightmare, who knows. By 2:30 am, after some consoling and even a few threats, I decided that Blake was not about to sleep. Since we were planning on getting up in 2 and a half hours anyways, that we would just pack up and go right then. So by 4:00 in the morning we were packed and on the road with the kids.

As you can imagine, the drive out of Los Angeles was uneventful and we were all the way to Palm Springs by 8 am. We stopped and got breakfast at McDonalds, and filled the car with gas. Once back on the road, the children (especially Blake) decided that they didn't want to eat, but of course once we ate everything we had purchased, then they decided they were hungry after all. Too late at that point. Our next stop was Gila Bend, where once again we filled up with gas. It was to be a feast of chips and juice for them. Seeing as how it was just before 11:00 am, and I was not trusting of border-area food choices like 7 Lleven (7-11's cool Hispanic brother store where you can likely get menudo slurpee), we decided to press on and head to Mexico. At one point Kyle asked if we were in Mexico yet, I told him that we weren't there yet, but I was pretty sure that once we were in Mexico he would know.

We got into Mexico around noon, and sure enough.... yes you "knew" you were in Mexico. The border crossing at Lukeville was pretty uneventful and quick. Once over the border we were immediately accosted by people selling homemade tortillas, and pushing everything else under the sun. For a shot period we were stuck behind a van with one of those top mounted loud speakers playing mariachi music and saying God knows what. One of the first things I noticed is that the idea of a "building code" down here is apparently is completely foreign (big surprise, huh). And everything my friends Cristina and Gina told me are completely true... dogs sleeping under cars, people milling around in the street, and the most popular place in town.... the liquor store.

Once through the border town of Sonoyta we were back on the open road, and I had the fun of experiencing Mexico driving. First thing I found is that speed limit signs are few and far between. Second, the reason for the limit signs being few and far between is because apparently in Mexico, they are just suggestions anyways. Everywhere I would go I would search for the speed limit sign. Once found I would know "OK, it's 60 km/h here", and in my attempt to go 60 km/h I would be run over by everyone else on the road trying to go 100 - 120 km/h. Also stop signs (or ALTO signs, as it is down here) are also suggestions. Here they apparently mean, slow down, drive as normal, or even speed up, depending on your mood at the moment.

Finally just before 2 pm we made it to the Mayan Palace resort, and what a welcome sign it was for me. We first passed through the guard gate at the road, where all we had to do is wave at the guard and he opened the gate to let us in. I asked Julie "What's the point of having the gate if your just going to let everyone through anyways?", and she told me "We're American, and are driving a car with California plates... we're not the ones they are trying to keep out". Aaahhh.... I feel more comfortable already. My comfort level rose as I saw that the speed limit signs were now in miles per hour; that's when I knew I was where I was supposed to be.

Don't get me wrong.... it's not that I have anything against driving in a foreign country or even kilometers per hour. I've driven through Canada before and had no anxiety whatsoever. But there there are actual traffic laws, and I don't have to worry about getting "Canadian Car Insurance".

Check in was uneventful and we very quickly made it to our room, and it was even better than what I was expecting. Christine and Joe (Julie's mother and step-father), were not in the room when we got there, so after putting our luggage in the room we headed back up to the front to park our car and on the way we bumped in to them. They were not expecting us until early evening, so they were so surprised, they asked whether we drove all night. We finished checking in and then wandered around and checked out the resort, and of course I took a few minutes to get my computer hooked up to the Internet at the Cyber Cafe. Kyle wanted to go swimming so we decided to head over to the indoor pool. Kyle and Blake had a great time swimming, and splashing around. Unfortunately, even after Kyle's swim lessons last year, he was not ready to go swimming without his turtle floater. After a short round of swimming we headed back to the room.

Julie and I decided to take advantage of built-in babysitting (i.e. Grandparents), and head to town for a night alone. After once again experiencing the joys of Mexican highway driving, we made it to Rocky Point. Once we got to the main tourist-trap part of town down by the ocean and the traffic became stop and go. Parking down by the main strip was pretty non-existent, so I headed a little further up town to look for parking. After making a few circles (and I think possibly driving the wrong way on a one-way street) I found what looked like it might be a place to park, and decided to just take my chances and park. We wandered down to the main strip and after fending off a few of the street vendors along the way by pretending to speak only German to really throw them, we decided to eat at "The Point", a very nice restaurant situated over the water on a shot pier.

A brief note on Mexican cuisine. If a dish says "con queso", understand that means 'wherever there was room for more food, we added cheese'. Julie got a dish with whitefish, scallops, shrimp, and cheese served in a white sauce. When it arrived, it was a heaping cream fish explosion with a large cheese grenade stashed in the center. This is fine unless you happen to be lactose intolerant or want to keep the fat grams under 100 per day, so beware when ordering dishes "con queso". After dinner (and a $2 serenade) we headed back to the car, and then on to the resort. We got back just after 9pm, and even though it had been a long day, both kids were still awake. After just a little fighting we were able to get the kids to sleep, and then had the fun of listening to the people in the room above us doing what we could only guess was kid bowling. Apparently this had been going on for a while, and Julie's mother had already called the front desk to complain. We decided to ignore it for now, and watched the end of a movie on the TV.

After the movie ended around 10 pm we decided to head to bed. I was exhausted by this point seeing as how I had been up for over 20 hrs and was driving for about half that time. After realizing that the "kid bowling" was still going on upstairs, I decided to head up and talk to the people above us. They came to the door, and when I asked them to keep the noise down... there response was "what noise?". At that point I was annoyed and told them plainly that I have been hearing them run around for the past couple of hours, and when they drag their chairs along the floor it was extremely noisy. They still insisted that they were making no noise, and at that point I figured it was pointless to argue. I asked them once again, to "just keep it down" and walked away. After getting into bed and listening to more of the "kid bowling" for another half an hour, I called the front desk, explained that we had complained before, and they said they would send a security guard. Shortly thereafter I passed out from exhaustion, but I found from talking with Joe later that the noise was still going on until around 1 in the morning.

I really...
Written by sshapour on 2005-06-14 15:36:58
...enjoy reading this every day. keep it up 
Say hi to Julie. I was about to call the resort's management about the noise above your room. I'm glad you took care of it.  
Enjoyed the article
Written by rreelfs on 2005-06-14 10:11:46
Sound like a lot of fun. Kisses all around from Grandpa Russ. Look forward to reading more.
Written by Jason on 2005-06-14 09:31:55
Hola Amigos et amigas! Hope you're havin a blast and remember, don't drink the water!
Written by ginger on 2005-06-13 14:54:46
Just wanted to double check that the gardiner comes on Fri and that I need to unlock the gate on Thurs night so he can get in the back yard. Will email you too on this. P.S. Kipper's fine, not too interested in eating but I coaxed her into eating a little on Sunday.
Written by uncletommy on 2005-06-13 12:29:01
Sounds like you are having a great time! Say "hi" to the boys for me! Don't forget to wear sunscreen, and stay off the beaches with that speedo you have! :grin

Only registered users can write comments.
Please login or register.

Powered by AkoComment 2.0!

< Prev